The Countdown to 2030 country collaboration in Zambia includes the School of Public Health at the University of Zambia, the Ministry of Health, and the Institute for Global Public Health at the University of Manitoba. It aims to strengthen the analysis and synthesis of health data to inform national and local reviews of progress and performance in the context of the national health plans and Global Financing Facility (GFF) investment case for reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health and nutrition (RMNCAH+N). The project focuses on enhancing the evidence on for whom and where improvements have been made in a range of key RMNCAH+N outcomes and indicators.
National Plan and Investment Case
The main national plan in Zambia is the National Health Strategic Plan (NHSP) 2017-2021. In early 2020, the Countdown to 2030 core team worked with the Ministry of Health to produce an analytical report for the midterm review of the NHSP 2017-2021. This report made extensive use of the health facility data from DHIS2 and the recent surveys, including the Zambia DHS 2018, to assess progress for all programs towards the NHSP targets. The GFF investment case for reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health is under development.
Outputs, Products, Programs
The Zambia Countdown country collaboration focused on in the years from 2020 to 2022:
- Analysis of health facility data from DHIS2 to obtain district-level estimates of coverage and improve local target setting, informing the 2021 endline review of the NHSP and the first annual review of the GFF investment case.
- In-depth assessment of levels and trends in RMNCAH+N indicators with a focus on equity using household demographic and health surveys to understand what has worked, for whom, and why
- Analytical methods and tool development with the MoH analytical team for future analysis of and reporting on national and subnational performance using DHIS2 and other data in the context of reviews (2022)
- National and subnational statistical profiles; fact sheets; policy briefs
- Scientific publication(s) from in-depth thematic studies
- Zambia is also a part of the Urban Health Project
All this can be viewed in the data uptake brief for Zambia, available here.